s. Williamsburg,  bk

Menu

HomeAbout Us Eras
  • 1520-1700>
    • Pre-Urban History
    • 1701-1855>
      • WilliamsburgH and the Eastern District
        • Industrialization and Commercialization
        • 1856-1899>
          • L.E.S. Eastern European Jewish Migration
            • Transportation
            • 1900-1930>
              • "New Law" Tenements
                • Williamsburg Bridge
                • 1931-1955>
                  • Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
                    • Eastern European Jewish Immigration
                      • Puerto Rican Immigration
                      • 1956-1980>
                        • Disinvestment and Community Organizations
                        • 1981-1997>
                          • Gentrification
                          • 1998- Present >
                            • Rezoning
                            Sites
                            • 141-151 South Fifth Street
                              • 149 South Fourth Street
                                • 167 South First Street
                                  • Havemeyer Market
                                    • Christian Pentecostal Church of God
                                      • 318 Grand Street
                                        • Espiritu Tierra Community Garden
                                          • 224-228 Grand Street
                                            • 227 Grand Street
                                              • 778 Driggs Avenue
                                                • 160 Havemeyer Street
                                                  • 165-173 South Second Street
                                                    • Ukrainian Orthodox Church
                                                      MapResearch Methods
                                                      • New York Public Library
                                                        • Brooklyn Public Library
                                                          • New York City Department of Records
                                                            • Department of Buildings
                                                              • Brooklyn Historical Society
                                                                • Department of Finance
                                                                  • Department of Housing Preservation & Development
                                                                    • Additional Resources
                                                                      • Bibliography (PDF)>
                                                                        • A - E
                                                                          • F - J
                                                                            • K - O
                                                                              • P - T
                                                                                • U - Z
                                                                                Client RecommendationsAcknowledgements Contact us!

                                                                                224 - 228    Grand    Street

                                                                                Picture
                                                                                1939-1940 Tax Record Photo. Courtesy of the Municipal Archives of the City of New York.

                                                                                Date of Construction: 1910 (estimated)
                                                                                Architect: Original: Unknown; 1920s Alterations: Adolph Goldberg
                                                                                Original Owner: John H. Simmons
                                                                                Type: Retail/Department Store/Light Manufacturing/Dwelling
                                                                                Style: Italianate
                                                                                Stories: 4
                                                                                Structure/ Materials: Brick with cement foundation

                                                                                From 1863-1882, the owner of 190-198 Grand Street was S. Tuttle. At this time, there were three independent  four-story buildings located at this address.
                                                                                In 1880, the interior of these three, four story buildings were connected and used as individual retail stores. In 1886, Piper & Rewick took over the entire retail space and opened up the Grand Bazaar Department Store. The department store sold carpets, upholstery, and dry and fancy goods. In 1892, Mr. Piper took sole ownership of the building, and its address eventually became 224-228 Grand Street.
                                                                                Picture
                                                                                Atlases of New York City. Insurance maps of New York. Brooklyn. Atlas 104. Vol. 4, 1905
                                                                                Between 1894 and 1895, Mr. Piper submitted an Application for Alteration of the Grand Bazaar in an attempt to expand his business. He tore down the four existing buildings at 705-713 Driggs Avenue and built a new building that became an extension of the Grand Bazaar Department Store. In 1900, after being burdened with a huge debt, Mr. Piper decided to sell the business to Joseph Michaels, Senior. Mr. Michaels, a well-known furniture and carpet dealer, opened J. Michaels Furniture Factory and Store on the site (224-228 Grand Street and 705-713 Driggs Avenue) around 1900. It remained a furniture store until 1916 when it went out of business.

                                                                                The property changed ownership various times between 1916 and 1984, and finally ended up in the hands of LLC Driggs Corporation, who is still the current owner of the property. At some point during this period, the property was converted into apartments, and in 2008 renovation of the apartments began.  The renovations are now complete, however, construction on the ground floor is still in process.
                                                                                Picture
                                                                                2011. Photo taken by Hung-Chi Chao (Rex).

                                                                                Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.